Recording Circular Food & Agriculture – Webinar series: Circular Cities in Action
About the Circular Food & Agriculture Webinar
Thursday 23rd of June 2022, 13:30 – 15:00 CET
Co-hosted by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, this month’s webinar showcased city-led and -supported circular food and agriculture interventions that allow to shift away from the linear model of take-make-waste model in food systems to reduce food loss and waste in a systemic way. This was built on the City Practitioners Handbook: Circular Food Systems, released last year.
After a short thematic introduction, 5 cities from different world regions presented examples of interventions along the Circular City Actions Framework, which consisted of 5 R-strategies to address the take make waste model in a systemic manner:
- Ava Richardson, Sustainability Director City of Baltimore, U.S. – Rethink: Food Matter program to redesign food systems governance
- Lia Palm, Public Policy Analyst City of São Paulo, Brazil – Regenerate: Connect the Dots program to support regenerative agriculture
- Nozomi Shimazu, International Cooperation Officer City of Kyoto, Japan – Reduce: Minimizing food loss through public-private initiatives
- Philippe Schuler, Global Impact Manager Too Good To Go – Reuse: Cities Against Food Waste project to promote food redistribution
- Frankline Otiende, Researcher Kisumu Local Interaction Platform (KLIP), Kenya – Recover: Mistra Urban Futures project to incentive recycling of organic waste
About the Circular City Actions Framework
The Circular City Actions Framework is a set of five complementary strategies cities can use to start working towards a more circular system. These strategies (the 5Rs: Rethink, Regenerate, Reduce, Reuse, and Recover) address the different roles that local and regional governments play, from public service delivery to cooperation with local stakeholders, asset management, urban planning and regulation. They can be applied to all production, consumption and waste management processes influenced by the city or its residents. The Actions Framework was developed by ICLEI, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, Circle Economy and Metabolic.
The webinars are taking place every second month on the last Thursday.
Circular Plastics – Thursday, 24 February 2022, 13:30-15:00 CET
Circular Buildings & Construction – Thursday, 28 April 2022, 13:30-15:00 CEST
Circular Food & Agriculture – Thursday, 23 June 2022, 13:30-15:00 CEST
Circular Fashion & Textiles – Thursday, 25 August 2022, 13:30-15:00 CEST
Circular Water & Sanitation – Thursday, 27 October 2022, 13:30-15:00 CEST